Australian Government social media accounts are managed by the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
The Moderation Guidelines below apply to all Australian Government (AusGov) social media accounts. They are in addition to the Terms of Service of each social media platform.
If you are awaiting a reply, please bear in mind that social media accounts are only moderated during business hours.
The Australian Government has strict guidelines on discrimination and intimidation. We will not respond to, or accept content which is irrelevant, pornographic, discriminatory, hateful or threatening, and actions which may offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate.
When contributing your questions and comments, we encourage you to:
- Protect your personal privacy and that of others by not including personal information about yourself or others (such as names, email addresses, private addresses or phone numbers). Posts or comments containing personal information will be hidden or removed.
- Post material that is relevant to the topics and issues being discussed, particularly if you are seeking a response from the Department.
- Represent your own views and do not impersonate or falsely represent any other person.
We will never respond to, but may report, remove or block posts or users that:
- Abuse, harass or threaten others.
- Racially or religiously vilify others.
- Incite, induce or aid violence, discriminate, harass, victimise or provoke hatred towards others, or are likely to offend, insult or humiliate others, particularly on the basis of their race, colour, descent, national origin, religion, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation or any disability.
- Make defamatory or libellous comments.
- Use insulting, provocative or hateful language or images.
- Use obscene or offensive language or images.
- Use material that infringes the intellectual property rights of others.
- Are multiple versions of the same view to the forum.
- Promote commercial interests.
- Link to external non-government websites.
- Promote personal and professional interests.
- Are overtly party political (e.g. reference to candidates, fundraisers, support for political parties).
- Incite, encourage or make reference to conduct that may constitute a criminal or civil offence or otherwise violate Australian law.
We encourage you to have open and honest discussions whilst being respectful of your fellow users.